The 15th Annual International Baseball Arbitration Competition will take place from Wednesday, January 19 through Friday, January 21, 2022. We intend for the competition to be in person, but intend to make a decision regarding the format of the competition November 12, 2021. We will not collect payments until a determination has been made regarding the format, but the guidelines provided hereunder outline the registration fees that will apply, in either case, for your planning purposes.
Thank you to the competitors and arbitrators who participated in the 14th Annual International Baseball Arbitration Competition.
Registration is now open for the Advocate Competition -- please click HERE to register.
Registration is also open for the Written-Only Competition -- please click HERE to register.
The early registration deadline is Monday, November 15, 2021. The regular registration deadline is Friday, December 3, 2021, and payments must be received no later than Friday, December 10, 2021. Registration will remain open until we've received online registration forms and payments from at least forty (40) teams. We will provide payment instructions to any teams that have registered once we have determined the competition format. Please note that the Rulebook and Problem below are from 2021, and will be updated well in advance of the brief submission deadline.
About the Competition
The Tulane International Baseball Arbitration Competition, run by the Tulane Sports Law Society, is a simulated salary arbitration competition modeled closely on the procedures used by Major League Baseball (MLB). Like most law school moot court competitions, TIBAC’s main goal is to provide participants with the opportunity to sharpen their oral and written advocacy skills. However, the competition is unique in that it allows law students to sharpen these skills within the specialized context of MLB's salary arbitration proceedings. The competition is held annually in the early part of the spring academic semester at Tulane University Law School. Additionally, Tulane’s Sports Law Society hosts a panel of experts to discuss legal issues related to baseball.
Please check out Craig Calcaterra’s (NBC Sports) and Jerry Crasnick’s (ESPN) coverage of the competition:
Craig Calcaterra's “Future sports lawyers battle in baseball arbitration competition"
Jerry Crasnick's "Inside Tulane's arbitration competition"
2021 Competition Materials
Past Guest Arbitrators
- Scott Barber (Player Agent, Ballengee Group)
- Jay Cohen (Staff Attorney/Baseball Specialist, Zuckerman Spaeder, LLP)
- Greg Dreyfuss (Director of Analytics and Baseball Operations, MLBPA)
- Sam Eaton (Director, Baseball Operations, Arizona Diamondbacks)
- Mark Feinsand (Executive Reporter, MLB.Com)
- Jon Fetterolf (Partner, Zuckerman Spaeder, LLP)
- Rex Gary (Co-Founder, Turner-Gary Sports)
- Brian Grieper (Player Agent, Paragon Sports International)
- Evan Green (Director of Arbitration, Baseball Division, Creative Artists Agency)
- Trey Hendricks (Director of International Scouting, Cincinnati Reds)
- Giles Kibbe (Senior Vice President, General Counsel, Houston Astros)
- Matt Kleine (Vice President, Baseball Operations, Milwaukee Brewers)
- Marc Kligman (Player Agent, Total Care Sports Management)
- Nona Lee (Executive Vice President and Chief Legal Officer, Arizona Diamondbacks)
- Joseph Longo (Player Agent, Paragon Sports International)
- Rachel Luba (Player Agent, Founder, Luba Sports)
- Michael Mariano (Vice President, Baseball Operations at Wasserman)
- Greg McMillin (Assistant Director of International Scouting, Cincinnati Reds)
- Mike Parnell (Assistant Director of Pro Scouting, Texas Rangers)
- Caroline Perry (Senior Vice President & General Counsel, San Diego Padres)
- Jay Reisinger (Partner, Farrell & Reisinger, LLC)
- Zack Rosenthal (Assistant General Manager, Baseball Operations, and Assistant General Counsel, Colorado Rockies)
- Philip Stringer (Professional Scout, Los Angeles Dodgers)
- Stephanie Wilka (Associate General Counsel & Baseball Operations Compliance Officer, San Diego Padres)
- Alex Winsberg (General Counsel, Legal and Risk Management, Los Angeles Angels)
- Hamilton Wise (Assistant Director of International Scouting, Texas Rangers)
Congratulations to the following teams and participants:
- Written Competition Winner: The University of Iowa College of Law
- Written Advocacy Award: The George Washington University Law School
- Oral Advocacy Award: Charleston School of Law
- Semi-Finalists: Fordham University School of Law and Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law
- Runner-Up: The University of Texas School of Law
- Champions: St. John’s University School of Law
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the competition, please contact Baseball Arbitration Co-Chairs Sharon DiPrinzio, Maxwell Martin, and Alyssa McCain by email at firstname.lastname@example.org