June 14-25, 2021
The International Legislative Drafting Institute is returning in June 2021!
Last year, the pandemic precluded our annual two-week training for the first time in 25 years.
This year, we will offer Institute training remotely via Zoom—lectures, assigned readings, and exercises that registrants can view in their home jurisdictions.
The Zoom Institute consists of two-hour instructional components taught daily during June 14-25.
Each day’s class will be broadcast during 9:30-11:30 AM (CST-US) for viewing late afternoon or early evening in Africa, Europe, and the Middle East; then will be rebroadcast during 8:00-10:00 PM (CST-US) for viewing on the morning of the following day in Pacific Rim countries.
Registrants may sign up for one or both weeks. With sufficient notice, we may be able to arrange for simultaneous interpretation via Zoom.
Week One: Drafting in Plain Language
The Week One curriculum (June 14-18) consists of presentations that focus on the stylistic challenge of crafting good legislation:
- Monday, June 14: “Getting Started” and “Drafting Manuals and Formularies”
- Tuesday, June 15: “Plain Language Drafting Part I”
- Wednesday, June 16: “Plain Language Drafting Part II”
- Thursday, June 17: “Regulatory Drafting (Subordinate Legislation)”
- Friday, June 18: “Parliamentary Drafting Instructions” and "Constitutional Drafting"
Each registrant for Week One will receive a copy of Richard Wydick, Plain English for Lawyers, with readings that inform the lectures on Plain Language Drafting.
Week Two: Subject-Matter Drafting
Week Two (June 21-25) focuses on drafting in various subject areas, including (listed alphabetically) Agricultural Legislation, Alternative Dispute Resolution Mechanisms, Election Laws, Environmental Treaties and Laws, Freedom of Information, and Human Trafficking.
- Monday, June 21: “ADR Mechanisms” and “Drafting Agricultural Legislation”
- Tuesday, June 22: “Human Trafficking” and “APA Rulemaking”
- Wednesday, June 23: “Drafting Open Meeting Laws” and “Drafting Freedom of Information Laws”
- Thursday, June 24: “Regulating the Web” and “Drafting Environmental Laws”
- Friday, June 25: “Climate Change and Environmental Treaties” and "Drafting Election Laws"
These subject matters will be addressed by long-time Institute speakers who authored chapters in our new International Legislative Drafting Guidebook (2020). Each registrant for Week Two will receive a copy of the Guidebook, which contains readings and footnote references to enrich participants’ understanding in each speaker’s area of subject-matter expertise.